Some of us don’t have the perfectly straight smile we’d love to be able to show off. Many people do not smile as confidently or frequently as they would like due to concerns about crooked teeth or a misaligned bite. While in the past the only option for fixing these concerns was braces, many patients in Calgary can now enjoy orthodontic correction with Invisalign®.
Dr. Gordon Chee is a proud provider of this convenient, comfortable alternative to braces. To find out if Invisalign is right for you, please call Aesthetic Dental Studio today at 587-315-5080 to schedule a consultation. Dr. Chee sees patients from Calgary and other communities in Alberta.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that uses clear plastic trays instead of metal brackets and wires. Like braces, Invisalign uses pressure to gradually remodel bone and move the teeth. Unlike braces, you will be able to remove the aligners to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
Benefits of Invisalign Treatment
Invisalign treatment offers many benefits, including:
- You can take them out to eat and drink, meaning there are no food restrictions. Other orthodontic treatments require you to avoid crunchy food like popcorn and apples or sticky foods like caramel.
- You are able to remove the aligners for special occasions. Though the aligners are clear and hard to detect, some people still prefer to remove them to attend a wedding, job interview, or other important event. You can also take them out to play sports or a musical instrument. Just make sure that you still wear them for at least 20 hours a day to achieve optimal results.
- It is easy to maintain proper oral hygiene because you can continue your regular routine of brushing and flossing. It may take more time to brush your teeth if you have another orthodontic option that is not removable. To properly brush your teeth with braces, you need to use a small tool to go between the brackets and remove trapped pieces of food.
- Clear aligners can offer a more comfortable orthodontic experience. Traditional metal braces use wire and protruding bits of metal that may scratch the inside of your mouth or gums. Invisalign aligners are made of a smooth material and are customized to fit your mouth perfectly by a lab. They also do not require potentially painful tightening visits like braces do.
- They can offer a shorter treatment time. With traditional braces, you may need to visit the dentist every one to two weeks for adjustments, and treatment for adults can take upwards of 36 months. With Invisalign, you will simply return to our office every four to six weeks for a new set of aligner trays, and treatment can often be completed in as few as 12 to 18 months.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Crooked teeth hamper more than just a confident smile. They can be difficult to properly clean, which may lead to future gum disease, tooth loss and general health risks such as heart disease and stroke. The decision to treat crowded, crooked or protruding teeth is important for your overall well-being. Invisalign is often an ideal orthodontic treatment for adults and teenagers!
How Do I Know If I'm Eligible For Invisalign?
The only way to know for sure is to arrange a consultation and exam with an experienced dentist like Dr. Gordon Chee. As part of determining your eligibility, Dr. Chee will:
- Examine your teeth
- Review x-rays of your teeth, bite, and jaws
- Assess oral health status (gum disease, cavities, and other dental problems will need to be treated first)
- Explain the patient cooperation necessary to complete treatment (wearing the aligners at least 22 hours a day)
- Discuss the cleaning and maintenance commitment
- Describe the projected treatment timeline
- Millions of people have been treated successfully with Invisalign, and many people are great candidates for it. Like any orthodontic treatment, Invisalign isn’t right for everyone. Certain cases of malocclusion and crookedness simply will not respond to this type of technology. Rely on Dr. Chee to determine the most suitable solution for you.
What Can Invisalign Treat?
In many cases, Invisalign can treat the same issues as regular braces, including:
- Crooked teeth
- Overlapping teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- A misaligned bite, known medically as malocclusion
Invisalign offers several distinct advantages, but may not be right for everyone. Patients with mild to moderate bite issues typically achieve the best results from Invisalign. For severe instances of malocclusion, Dr. Chee may recommend braces or another orthodontic treatment.
What to Expect During Invisalign Treatment
As you get started, you can expect:
- Pictures and x-rays of your teeth as they are now
- A painless, no-goop, digital scan of your mouth using a handheld, pen-like instrument
- A waiting period while the aligners are manufactured
- An appointment to make sure the finished aligners fit and to go over all the treatment instructions
- Regular appointments until you reach the end of the treatment plan
The Invisalign process does not involve appointments to tighten wires or add rubber bands, but it does involve progressing through a planned series of aligners. After taking impressions of your mouth and teeth, we send the images to the Invisalign company. They send Dr. Chee a proposed plan for straightening your teeth with the aligners. Dr. Chee reviews the plan, makes modifications as necessary, and then approves the creation of the aligners. Each aligner is a slightly different shape. You’ll wear each one for about two weeks before graduating to the next. Your check-up appointments ensure the treatment is progressing as planned.
How Long Does Invisalign Treatment Take?
The length of your treatment will depend on a variety of factors including how often you wear your aligners and what specific dental concerns are being addressed. The average treatment time is 12 to 18 months, significantly less than braces.
Is Invisalign Painful?
Your very first Invisalign trays will feel quite snug. Most people adjust to the sensation after several days to a week. You can take over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen to deal with any discomfort, which for most people is mild. Invisalign and other orthodontic treatments do not tend to cause sharp pain, but instead a dull soreness or ache as the teeth respond to pressure. Each time you graduate to a new aligner, you may feel sore for a few days because that is when the tray will be the tightest. As the teeth move, tenderness tends to go away.
Is Invisalign Safe?
All medical and dental procedures and treatments come with the risk of certain side effects, complications, and poor results. When supervised by a professional dentist, Invisalign is overall a safe and effective treatment for the vast majority of patients. The first step in ensuring treatment is as safe as possible is making sure you are a good candidate. You should be in good dental health before getting Invisalign. Dr. Chee will discuss whether you have any allergies or other health issues that would in any way interact with Invisalign, although such scenarios are unlikely. Rely on Dr. Chee to provide all of the facts you need in order to make an informed decision. We encourage you to write down all of your questions and concerns so we can discuss them at your consultation.
Schedule Your Invisalign Consultation Today
To find out if Invisalign is right for you, please contact Aesthetic Dental Studio online or call 587-315-5080 today to schedule your consultation. Dr. Chee serves patients in Calgary, Cochrane, Airdrie, and nearby areas of Alberta.