Porcelain veneers are durable and tend to last about five to 10 years before they may need to be replaced. In some cases, veneers last for over a decade. By taking care of your teeth and oral health, you may be able to extend the life of your veneers.
Durability of Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers can last many years. Some studies have shown significant numbers of veneers candidates have had their veneers for a decade, and a smaller percentage even longer than a decade.
If you're interested in veneers, you should expect to replace them at some point. Although it's possible for them to last an indefinitely long amount of time, it's best to assume they'll crack or become discolored some years down the road.
Some of the most common reasons people replace their porcelain veneers include:
- Veneer breaks, cracks or chips
- Mouth injury damages veneer
- Veneer stains and discolors over time
- Cavity forms along edge of veneer
- Teeth grinding breaks veneer
Stains are unlikely, but not impossible. Porcelain veneers are exceedingly resistant to discoloration, but over the years the material may break down in response to acidic content in coffee, tea and other foods and beverages. Eventually, the worn material may show some fading or yellowing. While the porcelain will not respond to teeth whitening agents, you can replace your veneers.
Porcelain is a durable material. It will resist breaking, but if you suffer a mouth injury, grind your teeth or bite on hard objects then the veneer may crack or chip. In such cases you have to replace the veneer.
Preventing Porcelain Veneer Damage
To prevent stains:
- Don't smoke
- Rinse your mouth after drinking coffee, tea, wine and soda
- Brush your teeth after eating
To prevent breaking or chipping your porcelain veneers:
- Brush and floss to prevent cavities on the surrounding tooth
- Wear protective mouth guards if you play sports or are involved in other athletics
- Ask your dentist about a night guard if you grind your teeth while you sleep
- Don't use your teeth for opening packages or for other similar tasks
If you do experience any problems with your porcelain veneers, our dentist can make sure you get back the smile you had before. For more information, please call 403-543-4600 or complete the online Aesthetic Dental Studio contact form.